Dr. Hardin-Lee, University Physician, and other university officials continue to stay current on coronavirus updates and are working closely with Wake County Health Department as there has been at least one confirmed case of coronavirus in Wake County.
People infected with the coronavirus can experience symptoms that range from those of the common cold to more serious respiratory illness. Reported symptoms include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. The spread of the virus is thought to occur from person-to-person through respiratory droplets when an infected person sneezes or coughs.
Even though infection is unlikely, there are some everyday steps you can take to prevent the spread of viruses:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick;
- Wash your hands regularly and for at least 20 seconds with soap and hot water;
- Use hand sanitizer- stations that are set up around campus;
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, and nose if you haven’t washed your hands;
- Do not share food or drinks.
If you are not feeling well, please visit either Health Services in Joyner House, your local provider or urgent care. If you see an off-campus provider, please email HealthServices@peace.edu and let us know. We continue to monitor the prevalence of illnesses in our community.
If you are sick, Health Services can provide you with a thermometer so that you can monitor for a fever. If you become ill while you are off campus or traveling, please visit a health care provider before returning to campus.
Please visit www.cdc.gov/coronavirus for more information.
What prevention methods is the University taking?
- WPU has installed multiple hand sanitizer stations throughout campus, specifically in our academic buildings.
- WPU has an external cleaning company coming to campus to deep clean our common spaces and academic buildings on campus.
- Residence Life and Housing staff will be distributing posters and flyers throughout the residence halls with prevention strategies and tips for students.
- The Wellness Center staff is available to talk with any student that may be experiencing anxiety or stress as it relates to the coronavirus.
What prevention methods can you take?
- Follow the everyday steps listed above from Health Services
- Utilize disinfecting wipes and/or spray on surface areas within your residence hall rooms including door knobs.
- Remember to Cover, Toss, and Clean
- COVER: When you cough or sneeze: cover your nose and mouth with a tissue OR cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve, not your hands.
- TOSS: Toss your used tissue into the trash.
- CLEAN: Clean your hands with soap and warm water OR an alcohol-based hand cleaner.
If you are feeling sick, please visit the Wellness Center immediately and follow all guidance and directions given to you. If the Wellness Center is closed, please visit an urgent care or the emergency room.